Maybe the sun is shining, your day is rolling along splendidly and suddenly you’re fighting a nasty headache. It happens to all of us at some point, but when the headaches occur too frequently, it might be time to look into getting chiropractic care.
Five Different Types of Headaches
- Tension headaches feel like a constant ache or pressure around the head, especially at the temples or back of the head and neck.
- Cluster headaches, which affect more men than women, are recurring headaches that occur in groups or cycles. They appear suddenly and are characterized by severe, debilitating pain on one side of the head, and are often accompanied by a watery eye and nasal congestion
- Sinus headaches can be treated with antibiotics as well as anti-histamines or decongestants.
- Rebound headaches can be caused by overuse of painkillers for headaches.
- Migraines headaches can run in families and last between 4 and 72 hours. At least one associated feature includes nausea/vomiting and/or sensitivity to light and sound.
Source: Huffpost Healthy Living
Tension headaches are often the result of our more sedentary lifestyles. Many people sit much of the day in front of computers or working at desks, spending hours in one fixed position and getting little exercise. That constant ache or pressure in the temples or back of head and neck may respond to OTC painkillers if they are infrequent, but headaches occurring on a regular or daily basis require something other than daily painkillers.
The American Chiropractic Association suggests that a Doctor of Chiropractic can perform spinal adjustments to the neck or back to improve spinal function and reduce the muscle tension that is causing pain and interfering with a quality lifestyle. The Doctor can also provide you with specific low impact exercises to relieve the muscle tension leading to pain. You should also engage in regular walks or other aerobic exercise such as swimming or biking. The ACA also suggests drinking lots of water to prevent dehydration which can lead to headaches.
A natural remedy is always a better path to pain management.
Contact us at Lake Pointe Chiropractic and Wellness Center to assess your situation to find a natural solution to pain through chiropractic care as opposed to continued use of painkillers. We can also advise you on a routine of self care, as well as suggest nutritional supplements and diets. Advice on posture, ergonomics and relaxation techniques can help you avoid the triggers that cause your headaches as well as help relieve them. A natural remedy is always a better path to pain management and to the pain free life you deserve.